Tina discovered her love for competitive swimming at the age of 8. Her time in the pool took her through a Div I program at Miami University, on to a USA Swimming Master’s Open Water National Championship title, and finally into triathlon in 2003. Returning to her Rochester area roots, she trained with Mary Eggers and completed her first Ironman at Lake Placid in 2006. After a move out to the Pacific Northwest in 2008, Tina began coaching triathlon and eventually opened Eugene, Oregon’s first multisport training facility, writing all the power-based workouts for the Computrainer MultiRider center.
With her BS in exercise physiology and nutrition, Tina is a firm believer in a science-based approach to training, utilizing everything from power meters, GPS, heart rate and metabolic testing, to tried-and-true RPE. Her coaching relies on constant feedback from athletes in order to continually adapt her custom plans to athlete’s changing fitness and busy lives. She enjoys the challenge of taking experienced athletes to the next level of their racing, and also takes pride in guiding new athletes through their first triathlon experiences. Tina’s coached numerous IM finishers, World Championship and USAT National qualifiers and Boston qualifiers. Tina’s extensive swim, bike power, and nutrition knowledge make these her coaching specialties.
Tina’s desire for continual self-improvement led to her adding the USAT Level 2 coaching certification to her resume in 2012. She completed the RRCA run coaching certification in January 2014, the ASCA swimming certification in 2015 and is currently enrolled in the International Olympic Committee’s prestigious 2-year Sports Nutrition Diploma program, leading to a master’s degree in exercise physiology and sports nutrition. Tina is also a certified sports nutritionist through the International Society of Sports Nutrition.
After selling her shop and moving back to the east coast to be closer to family, Tina now serves as the PowerBar Mid-Atlantic nutrition tech rep. She can be found teaching nutrition clinics and attending races as the PowerBar ambassador up and down the Mid-Atlantic. Tina’s multisport family includes her husband Brett, an Ironman finisher, and their Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Rogue and Colt.
One on One Coaching– I only have one level of coaching because I believe to be an effective coach, I need to be able to provide you with a customized plan, I need to be able to adjust weekly/monthly based on how your season is progressing, and we need to have open lines of communication. You will be given:
- A thorough questionnaire to fill out, followed by an in-depth phone conversation to determine strengths, weaknesses, goals, challenges, etc.
- Workouts sent through a premium Training Peaks account every 2 weeks, so adjustments can be made. I will change and adapt your training so that it matches where you are in your training i.e. traveling for work, illness, injury, etc.
- Workouts based on power, heart rate, pacing and RPE. I use multiple metrics which allows for better coaching
- Weekly feedback and analysis of your workouts, and changes to be made for improvement
- Unlimited e-mail and monthly phone conversations if desired
- Core and functional strength training workouts if it is logical with your goals
- If you are out of town and you would like me to analyze your swimming stroke, running or cycling form, you may send me a video for analysis at no extra charge.
- Assistance with overall nutrition and race day nutrition help-for more in-depth help, athletes will be given discounts on race day fueling plans, and nutrition consultations
To get in touch with Coach Tina please email: cristina.l.caldwell